10 Apr 2015

Character Development


Reading the story numerous times I had to understand who the characters are and what characteristics they have. I discovered that the main character Sultan is and old dog, so I wanted to find a dog that looked old and warn out and thought the Italian Spinone dog was the best match. Everything about it from the fur to the way the ears drop down made me think this was ' Old Sultan'. I could just imagine this dog running around on a farm. I think this dog is exactly how I want my main character to look.

I thought the best way to go about creating the character drawing wise was to do a load of studies similar to life drawing, so I could get the shape, size and face structure right. I think they look really good and having to look very closely at all the different parts of the dog helped me to draw it. The one aspect I am worried about is the  fact that this dogs face is very hard to draw because its fur covers its facial structure- i.e. no jaw bone and no straight lines.




I repeated the same process with the Wolf character. I want him to look very dark and mysterious, basically make him look like a bad guy. Wolves are a lot easier to draw personally for me as they have lots of  straight lines to them and are easily defined.

No comments:

Post a Comment