18 Nov 2015

Snow Leopard

I really enjoyed creating this piece, as I always enjoy drawing animals. The idea of this one was to show a metaphor for trying to pursue Happiness and I related that being homeless ( confusing aha).  The snow leopard is a symbol of survival and isolation as leopards are often completely cut off from everything else. They have to try and survive so it was the ideal animal to relate to my subject.

With this piece there is a surreal feel to it, with the leopard meant to be almost part of the mountain - looming over the climbers, who are homeless people. In my initial sketches I wanted the leopard with its camouflaged fur to almost be invisible, just as homeless people often feel they are.

The mountain was so hard to create it almost gave me a headache, I focused on getting the shape and form right.


I wanted climbers to represent the struggle of being homeless and the effort each and every day takes just to survive.
Using mark making and a solid drawing I managed to create this.The eyes were the most important component in this as they capture the mood of the animal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment