15 Nov 2015

My Newspaper ( Down and Out )


David Parshott's http://www.davidsparshott.com/portfolio/creative-review/

To get my work onto the next level and to push myself further I decided to create my own newspaper using the great website 'newspaper club'. Its a website where you can create your own layout and design and use your images..... I thought this would tie in nicely with my project as the images i'm creating are quite political and news orientated. However the problem I had at first was that Id never designed my own newspaper and there was a lot that needed to be considered, from composition, page layout and images relating top the text.


Research 

The only way I would be able to understand what it is that makes articles and images work was by looking at some. Creative Review is a magazine targeting the art scene, reviewing modern and contemporary art. The first aspect I noticed was the professional look the paper had and the seamless link between images and text. 

The images used were often clever and often metaphors for the text. Each image had its own meaning, but they always linked to the text and 
challenged me to try and find out what the link was. For example a magazine I saw had a picture of a magpie and the article was about stealing, which magpies are synonymous with. I want my newspaper to have the same professional feel and design. 

The core design and layout was the most important part for me, as it had to resemble that of a newspaper. This article on data presentation was a help. From my research I found most newspapers stick to the same formats, so font size, columns and image size. This is to keep a consistent layout and this makes artists design images to work with a format. So my aim was to follow the blueprint of arty magazines such as creative review and let the page work as one. 







No comments:

Post a Comment