13 Apr 2016

Hopes and Fears

I think one thing I've realized over the past three years, is how much my work has changed and how different I now approach work. I used to be so focused on getting my drawings to look exactly like what I was drawing from. I started out as more of a fine artist and never really considered myself as an illustrator. Now my work has been compared to graphic design work. I'll always have drawing as my core principle though.

One of the main concepts I have found is the conceptual and editorial route, where my drawings are more inspired by politics and current affairs. I have a keen interest in stories like that and think my style of work is more catered to that type of adult drawing.

One part of being an illustration student, I haven't enjoyed is being able to just enjoy drawing or take time on a picture. The pressure of university is hard and sometimes I feel like I'm doing everything other than drawing or creating art, just to try and get a grade. For example I love to paint in water colour's and oils, I haven't been able to do that at all in the past year because it takes to much time to do and I don't have that time. I will be doing more painting in my spare time when I leave. I love being an illustration student, I just feel sometimes I don't know my own style yet and I think my drawing skills come first.

My main fear with the future, is something that I'm starting to realize now especially as I'm trying to contact art directors. Im worried about getting an actual chance to be a professional illustrator. I need that break and that chance to be able to create work for a newspaper or a book, but there are so many people applying for work. Ive found art directors rarely ever contact you back, especially if your not a well known artist. So the idea of the unknown is a worry, as I want to be able to have a steady income.
Art is very unpredictable money wise, so my aim is to get a part time job, hopefully related to art so that I can continue doing something I want to do. Another fear I have is losing contact with people from my university class, its great to know someone in a similar situation to your own, that can be there to provide help and advice with work, so hopefully I can keep in contact with some of them.

Im proud of my work and I have put my all into this course. I didn't put enough effort into one of my briefs in the first year and ever since then Ive been so determined to do the best I can and for people to be impressed by my work. My dream is to become a professional illustrator and I am fully determined for that to come true. My hope is to get a fair chance at being an editorial illustrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment