9 Dec 2015

The Sea


The aim of this piece was to really highlight that sense of isolation and being far away from anyone else. I made the man on the raft further away and smaller, as if you were looking down upon him. The sea is a very lonely place for a person on there own, inspiration from artist Edward Hopper. I think the landscapes and natural elements within my drawings, work well and help to connect the images together.

Hands - Hands are a huge part of my thinking process and capture the ideals of my work. Hands can represent so many different things, in this case it was the idea of reaching out for help. The black to me is a sign of negativity that often unfairly associated with homeless people, so I tried to counter balance that with making the person as white as possible, to reflect his innocence.

If I do have a negative with this piece is that I could have done more to highlight the person on the raft as he can become lost in the detail of the sea, but on the other hand that could help the idea of this piece of him being a lost individual. Its quite hard to explain this one , but I truly believe in this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment