6 Sept 2015

A point of view

A point of view is a topical radio show on bbc 4, which involves presenters talking about a wide range of subjects from political, economical, entertainment issues.... A chronicle of twenty first british opinion, which is informed, thought provoking and insightful. 

Being an illustrator its very important to be able to communicate sometimes difficult topics and ideas and its my job to create a well balanced representation of that. Therefore its very important that I have a genuine interest in the subject. Being an avid watcher of all things political and taking a keen interest in social issues this brief immediately spoke to me. Sometimes you just have a hunch that this is the right one for you and I had that with this. 
For my final major project it has taken many weeks of research and deliberating, but i think I have finally come up with the right idea for me and an idea that allows me freedom to work and the work to naturally develop itself. From previous projects such as the editorial brief, I wanted to challenge myself with difficult subjects and really reflect the story behind them. I dont feel like I can show you my initial research as its a confusing and complicated idea, so I thought it would be better to show you my initial idea and then show the research behind it later on.

The Pursuit of Happiness - 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vr10l - Check out Al Kennedys view here 

This was a view that stood out and here are my thoughts and ideas behind it,A L Kennedy reflects on what it means to pursue happiness in a world where "not having enough money can be utterly miserable" and indulging our desire to acquire is also unsatisfying. The answer may lie in seeing that happiness is, "not so much a condition as a destination. She's reflects the pursuit of happiness itself and says." when I'm happy I'm waiting to be sad". A lack of happiness damages our well being and our physiological state and according to media aquiring objects is the only way to happy, materialistic symptoms of an unhappy society. I myself can see this everywhere if you haven't got the latest technology you aren't "normal" and feel the urge to join others. That awareness of others poverty is driving people to acquire and be like every one else and the effect this has is that people sleeping in the street are not unremarkable and part of the side of society you dont want to be part of. She also reflects on the fear of hunger and the violent almost aspirational drive that stops that, but it creates a false image of happiness. even with enough of everything we still necessarily aren't happy, 2 million people people are malnourished, to them happiness is almost heroic". 




Eduardo Paolozzi: Living in a materialist world - poking fun at a post war world - http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/eduardo-paolozzi-living-in-a materialist-world-8784364.html


In my opinion this idea of a pursuit of materialistic goods is very evident in the modern streets of Britain  The homeless people as she talks about become the ignored and looked down upon. Many people have the idea of disgust at not wanting to become homeless themselves, but then are blinded by that greed and the homeless become the invisible and ignored. 








No comments:

Post a Comment