5 May 2015

Piece I wish I had done


This beautiful piece of ink drawing by Rohan Easton ( the artist I interviewed ) Is the piece I wish I had done or could do. I admire the imagination and creative mind to be able to come up with such an intelligent drawing that encompasses so many different aspects. For example the surreal quality of the imagination with the lion in the middle of the ocean. This is one part I found so interesting and it really captures my imagination. Another aspect of the drawing I like is the use of monochrome colors i.e. black and white, I find it hard at times to scale down my colour palette when drawing or painting and i think just using black and white brings the piece together. In addition the different tones of colour work so well with the pure black sky and  the lighter kinda black sea, they really reflect the feel and motion of the sea and sky.

The intricate line work and marks really help to create texture and make me wonder how has he achieved that and how long must that have taken him to get so good at it. I want to be able to create pieces this detailed and this organic in a way. Its a realistic sort of drawing but he's adapted it to give it a surreal kind of feel, which Im trying to do in my own work. The line quality and use of line, shape and texture help to bring the piece together and create a unique sense of perspective.

another aspect that I like is the cleverness of the image at first glance I saw a lion sitting in a field, then it became the sea, then a lion in the sea with a mountain behind him and then a woman behind him and then a boy sleeping. I could see so many different parts in the drawing that I couldn't see before. They were kind of hidden. I like the cleverness involved.

This is one piece I think is amazing and if I get any where near this quality, which I hope I do, then i will be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment