4 Dec 2014

John Walters Lecture

Club Lecture 


Club lecture is a chance for student like myself to hear from professional people in the design world. Its a chance for me to learn more about a professional environment, learn from talented professionals and hear about what they do. In my opinion it greatly enhances my learning and is a really useful event to attend. 


John Walters ( Eye Magazine ) 



John Walters is the extremely knowledgable editor of Eye Magazine and he came in to give everyone on my course a presentation on his experiences and advice he could give us. I learned that "eye" was a graphic design journal published mainly for designers, students and anyone with an interest in writing and visual culture. 

In the magazine a wide range of topics are covered for example, food. Each image and layout in the magazine is carefully designed and written by designers and professional writers. It was fascinating to learn more about the interdependence of writer and illustrator and how John talked about how the illustrations/designs have to have a purpose and mean something to the text. I also found myself thinking more along refinement and editing in my own work as each process is so carefully carried through, right from design to the printing stage. Each stage depended on each other and was so carefully carried through. The focus was on quality and producing a meaningful publication.  I need to implement that more in my own work and produce quality Illustrations. 


  • A very interest point I have listened to is what type of character you need to be to be employed by someone like "Eye Magazine". Obviously the work has to be up to scratch, but you as a person have to be good to work with and easy to get along with. You also have to have a keen interest in what your looking at be that articles, Essays, images- you have to know and understand that to be able to produce a high standard or work. 

This was a very useful lecture and I learned and gained a lot from it. It also helped contribute towards my ideas for the Parkinsons equip editorial with his editorial skills helping me. Especially in terms of different ideas like placement and the use of a context page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment