15 Dec 2014

Can you make a living being an Artist ?


http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2012/jul/29/artists-day-job-feature

Is it possible, in the current economic climate, for someone working in the creative arts to make a living from it? Unless you have the good fortune to be a Damien Hirst or a JK Rowling, the answer increasingly seems to be no. 

This was one of the first points in the article I see and it sure as depresses me !. The truth of the matter is unless your a famous artist, there isn't much chance of earning a decent yearly wage in the creative field. Therfore I would have to get a part time job, preferably in something related. The statistic about the average earning of a art student being less than 5,000 a year was very depressing indeed. The article gave various examples of student who have struggled for work and done something just to earn some money. I think articles like this drive me on to be a success and do well for myself, in a field of work I greatly love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment