18 Nov 2014

Type Matters

John Williams "Type Matters" 












University lecturer John Williams came in for this weeks lecture talk. He's a university lecturer and professional graphic designer, who has worked for some huge magazines such as the Chase. He came in and told us all about the book he produced called "Type matters", which sets out the basics of typography, the history and the intricate aspects of type. Creative review advertised his book and students all over use it as a useful reference point. 

Not being a graphic designer I thought this would be a unique experience of learning  about something other than illustration. It has opened my eyes to type and producing professional standard type. I have struggled with incorporating type within my work, especially compositionally.


I had no idea when producing type to think about positioning of letters, letter height,spacing and John really went into detail about this, and was very adamant you have to spend as much time and care on the type as you do the images. I will use this book and his advice to help me create meaningful type that looks professional and is the correct format. 

No comments:

Post a Comment