25 Oct 2014

Social Awareness Brief

Social Awareness in Illustration

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/08/ebola-illustration-andre-carrilho_n_5955192.html Andre Carrilho 

This brief taught me an important lesson as a modern day illustrator. The type of work being produced today is more about visual rather than what the meaning is behind the image. Viewers aren't sure of the meaning of images anymore. I agree with that I struggle sometimes to understand images and what I am supposed to understand from them. 
As a student of the illustration discipline I have to change that perception and make my work stand out. I have to create images that mean something and reflect the true nature of the image. 

Brief 


I was a given a list of gritty subjects to respond to and reflect light on the issues. I had to find an newspaper/online article about the following: 

  • The Ebola Outbreak
  • Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
  • The Rotherham Abuse Scandal
  • The Rise of Radical Islam
  • Cyber Bullying
  • The Disillusionment of the Political Process
  • Crime attached to Drug Culture 
This would be a challenging subject as these stories are highly emotive and current events. I needed to find relevant articles that I felt i could produce interesting images from.

No comments:

Post a Comment